Ever wondered if there’s such a thing as an app capable of running Windows programs on a Mac? Well, there is – the Citrix Receiver for Mac can do just that. It’s by far the best app for cross-platform work sharing. And the best part about it is that it can also run other operating systems. How does it do that? What are its other features? We’re here to clarify all these problems and more!
Simply put, the Citrix receiver for Mac is designed to receive (obviously) signals for any other device that you have which has the Citrix Receiver installed. However, the app still has many limitations that for some users just don’t make it worthwhile. Still, many companies use it for cross-platform tasks or to help employees who are used to working on a Windows computer. How would you use it? What are the downsides of this app? All of this in the article below!
The Citrix Receiver app running on an iPhone, Windows tablet, and Mac.
What Is the Citrix Receiver for Mac?
So you’re probably wondering how something like this works. No, it’s not magic or some other sort of sorcery. The app is made so that it can communicate with itself through the internet or through a local network. In order to run it through the latter, however, it would be advisable to ask the company’s network and IT manager.
Here’s the full range of inter-device compatibility that the Citrix Receiver for Mac can provide:
- Run Windows apps on your Mac. The obvious task that it’s also most-used for is running Windows apps and basically a whole Windows desktop on a Macintosh computer. This is particularly great for those whose work computer is a Mac which they have no idea how to use.
- Run Android apps on your Mac. A relatively new feature of the Citrix Receiver app for Mac is that it can run Android. All you have to do is have the Android app as well and you can say goodbye to switching between devices when reviewing Android apps for instance.
- Run Blackberry apps on your Mac. I know Blackberries are becoming outdated fast. Still, if you happen to need something that can run its operating system on a Mac, the Citrix Receiver for Mac is the thing for you,
- Run iOS apps on your Mac. Haven’t you always wished you could remotely connect your iPad’s screen to your Mac? Now you can do just that with the Citrix Receiver for Mac OS X.
- Run all of these in split-screen mode. If these features weren’t amazing enough, the app can also run them in split screen mode. It’s just a matter of how you configure Citrix receiver for Mac, which will prove really easy – you’ll see.
- Run Windows Phone, HTLM5, Chrome, and Linux on your Mac. Did you think that was it? You were gravely mistaken! You can run all of the above operating systems on your Mac just by downloading the Citrix receiver app for Mac.
How to Download Citrix Receiver for Mac
No matter which version of the Citrix Receiver app for Mac you want to download (10.5, 10.6, 11.2, 11.7, or 12.1), the process is pretty much the same. Here’s a step by step guide to doing this:
- Go to this link. That’s the download page for the Citrix Receiver app for Mac.
- Select your preferred version. On that page, click the specific version that you want under the Receiver for Mac drop-down
- Check earlier versions. This is only if you happen to want an earlier version. Click on the dropdown saying “earlier versions of the receiver for Mac.”
- Read what’s new. See the cool new features that the latest version of the Citrix Receiver for Mac has.
- Click download. Simply take the app.
- Install the app. After you’ve downloaded it, double-click install and go through the installer steps.
- Go to citrix.com. On this page, you will have to Log In so as to see your other Citrix devices.
- Select the device that you want to see. For example, you should see a big computer screen if you have an interconnected Windows computer ready for receiving.
After all these steps are done, you will be able to work on your Mac just as you would on your Windows computer. If that’s not neat, I don’t know what is! To exit the Citrix Receiver for Mac, all you have to do is log out of your Windows user profile.
The Citrix Receiver for Mac is an impressive app. Even though the company does have a lot of work to do on it in order to bring it to full functionality, it’s still the best thing out there!
Image sources: 1, 2, 3